My name is Kris Hay-Disney and I am lifelong resident of Decatur, the mother of two, and the servant of two dogs and one cat.
I grew up on the north side of Decatur across from what used to be Mound Middle School, now Target, and Holiday Swim Park, now a chiropractor’s office. I don’t miss my middle school, because my junior high years were traumatic and now a matter for my therapist, but I do miss the pool. It’s wear I fell in love for the first time and listened to totally awesome 80s music! I am the youngest of three children. My older brothers tortured me but that’s okay because now I can gloat that they’re older than me or I. I’m not very good with grammar or punctuation but I write anyway.
This was me in 1975 in my parent’s Decatur home. I don’t know why I look like I had a thyroid condition at age 5. Anyway, when I lose 25 pounds I’ll upload a current photo of myself, until then, forget it!
It took a while to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, in fact about 42 years. I was a web designer for several years but now I’m back in college studying natural resources through Oregon State University. I graduated from Columbia College with a degree in environmental studies in 2014. My dream job is to one-day work on a North Carolina beach monitoring dolphin populations, while sipping a 64-ounce Slushy in a lounge chair. I did say it was a “dream” job.
I write a lot about growing up in Decatur and my childhood. I always envision The Wonder Years when I write about those misty water-colored memories. They truly were full of wonder, and confusion, and heartbreak.
I also write about local politics from time to time. I lean towards the left, but I’m fairly moderate in my views, which usually means I end up annoying everyone.
Anyway, thanks for stopping by. I hope you find something that interests you from time to time on my blog, or all the time, —or at least once in your lifetime.
I really do appreciate all of you for taking time to read my sometimes-nutty posts.
If you would like to contact me, my email address is: email@example.com
I also write and share things about environmental issues at my Tumblr blog: http://conservationnut.tumblr.com/
Follow Me On Twitter: Follow @decnavigator
I’m still working on getting enough courage to have a Facebook fan page: Maybe someday… when I have fans.
- Shrek 1, 2, 3…
- Back to the Future 1 and 3 (The second one, eh…)
- Indiana Jones 1 and 3 (What is it with second movies?)
- Anything with Katharine Hepburn
- Gone with the Wind
- The Mummy (Modern version)
- I read mostly historical non-fiction. Yes I am THAT exciting! My favorite subjects are: Abraham Lincoln and ancient civilizations. If I do read fiction, I pick up a newspaper.
- I used to watch the History Channel when it had history on it. Now I watch H2 and the Food Network.
- Little House on the Prairie (On every channel in the world twelve times a day!) – I’ve watched every single episode at least 500 times but still enjoy it. They just don’t make shows like that anymore.
- I don’t know why we pay for satellite TV. I usually wind up watching old tv shows and movies on Netflix anyway.
- Ghost Hunters, Ancient Aliens, Decoded and other guilty pleasures that a wiser person wouldn’t admit to watching.
Other extremely important facts about me:
- I prefer Pepsi over Coke
- Cardinals over Cubs
- Democrat over Republican
- Chevy over Ford
- Munsters over The Adams Family
- Mary Ann over Ginger
- Cheese Toastie over Grilled Cheese, though technically they’re the same thing.